Call for Papers - VIVA AFRICA 2021
Theme: Africa and (the Other) Europe: Imageries – Discourses – Exchanges
Venue: Charles University, Prague, Czech Republic
Date: 16–17 September 2021
Twelfth VIVA AFRICA conference invites participants to engage in a discussion of mutual encounters, inventions, constructions and relations of all kinds taking place between Africa and Europe, in the past, present and future. Especially – although by no means exclusively – we invite scholars studying the exchanges and entanglements between African countries and those parts of Europe that are not conventionally associated with colonialism (e. g. most of Central and Eastern Europe), but which have nonetheless participated in global economic and cultural transfers, benefited from them and developed their own colonial imageries and discourses, and which have, by the virtue of their lack of an official colonial history, only recently been drawn into the discussions on postcoloniality and decolonization. One of the aims is to give more nuance to the postcolonial debate that tends to use reified notions of ‘Europe’ as simply part of the ‘West’ or the ‘global North’, forgetting about ongoing, if more subtle, developments between European countries ‘without colonies’ and the African continent.
The conference seeks to shed light on the nature of the exchange of ideas, knowledge, goods, cultural artifacts and people under various political and economic circumstances and regimes of imagination and knowledge production between Africa and Europe. This interdisciplinary conference welcomes submissions on current as well as historical topics from diverse academic as well as regional and cultural perspectives. Comparative approaches are especially appreciated.
● Individual papers (20 minutes maximum, with 10 minutes for discussion)
● Panel sessions (three or four papers, each of 20 minutes maximum, followed by a general discussion)
● Roundtable discussions (up to 5 participants, each giving a short position paper, followed by a general discussion, total running time of 90 minutes)
● For individual papers: 250-word (maximum) abstract
● For panel sessions: 250-word (maximum) summary and up to 250 words for each session participant
● For roundtable discussions: 250-word (maximum) summary and up to 150 words for each panel participant
Full call could be found here.
Viva Africa recommends
New book of Daniel C Bach, keynote speaker of Viva Africa 2015 conference:
Regionalism in Africa
Daniel C Bach, Emile Durkheim Centre for Comparative Politics and Sociology, Sciences Po Bordeaux.
Series: Routledge Studies in African Politics and International Relations